Sunday, September 28, 2008

Theology for Toddlers


The thing that I am most passionate about as a Mom is that my boys will know and love God. I pray over them every night that they would grow up to serve Him and love Him.
That said, I try to take advantage of every opportunity to teach them about who God is and what He has done. John loves to sing so I am teaching him different choruses and hymns and talking to him about what they mean. He just memorized Genesis 1:1 and he loves to talk about what God has made. "God made...(fill in the blank)...and it was really, really dood (good).
I was putting him down for his nap this afternoon and thought I would try my hand a storytelling. And what better story to tell him than God's Big Story! We had talked about some of the smaller stories that make up the Bible but I hadn't explained the Story that ties it all together.
So I started with Creation. "At first there was nothing. And then God said 'Let there be light.' And God made everything!..." We talked about how God made the Elephants and the monkeys, the trees and the clouds. John really seems to get the Creation part of the Story.
So we moved on the the Fall. I explained how God said that Adam and Eve could eat from any tree in the garden except for one. But they disobeyed God and had to leave the garden. And that's why things are wrong in this world. We disobey, we get hurt and God didn't make things this way but we disobeyed.
Then I explained how Jesus came to make things right. I wasn't quite sure how to explain Redemption to a two year-old but I did my best. Then I moved on to the end of the Story when Jesus comes back and makes everything how it was supposed to be. "And we will have no more snotty noses, we won't bump our heads or skin our knees. And we won't disobey anymore so there will be no more spanks! And then we get to be with God!"
He pondered all of this information for a moment and I waited for his response to this amazing Story.
...
"Ummm, God spanked Jesus."
...
Right.
Ok.
We've got a ways to go here.

1 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Funny John. Make sure you're writing all these things down. =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home